Market Finds

Market Finds
Farmer's Market Bounty

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Cook's Warehouse Revisited

This post originally appeared on the Taste and Savor blog on March 30, 2011

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of assisting Chef Nancy at two different cooking classes at The Cook's Warehouse. It seems like only yesterday, that I attended my first cooking class, at the then, new Cook's Warehouse on Amsterdam Ave. I was a single twenty-something on a girl's night out. I remember being in awe of the store and giddy with excitement about seeing my first live cooking demonstration. The Chef's for the class were April Moon and Lynne Sawicki. I know this, not because of my brilliant memory, but because I still have the recipe handout from that evening's class. We learned how to make Linguini Puttanesca, Tomato Basil Salad, Tuna Carpaccio and Tiramisu. All those years ago, I could not have imagined that one day I would return to The Cook's Warehouse, not as a student, but as, dare I say it, a professional. Okay, so I am still dreaming of one day being the featured chef at a Cook's Warehouse class, however, being there as a Sous Chef to Chef Nancy was enough to make me as giddy as I had been the first time I set foot in the store all those years ago. The Cook's Warehouse has expanded to a total of three stores over the years and has moved from it's original location on Amsterdam Avenue. The kitchens that I worked in at Brookhaven and Midtown were beautiful and the volunteer staff was exceptional. I had a great time helping out with the Gluten-Free Class and the South African Food and Wine Paring last Saturday and look forward to more chances to work with Chef Nancy at these stores. Mostly, I have enjoyed the little walk down memory lane that this experience has brought me and proud of how far I have come as a cook over the past few years. I think I will dust off the recipe sheet from my first class and serve up some Linguini Puttanesca for dinner this evening. As always, I am Tasting and Savoring Life and enjoying every minute of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment