Market Finds

Market Finds
Farmer's Market Bounty

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Keepin' It Green:

This post originally appeared on the Taste and Savor blog on March 15th, 2012

Last week, my daughter and I went on our annual pilgrimage to Orlando with her competition cheer team. It was a weekend jam-packed with theme parks, cheer leading, good friends and fun. While I did not completely abandon my healthy eating habits, I must say that I did enjoy more than my normal share of indulgences. I mean, really who can resist a Mickey shaped waffle or two? Unfortunately, the only green I saw that weekend, came in the form of cash flying out of my wallet, rather than fresh veggies. With that said, I was in major need of some vitamin rich greens once I got home.

I came up with a crunchy kale and napa cabbage slaw that paired nicely with barbecue pork sliders. I wanted my slaw to mimic the tanginess of my regular slaw, but without the mayonnaise.

This was a great side dish that really nourished me after a long weekend of fun and travel. I hope you will give this tangy, super green slaw a try.

Super Green Kaleslaw:
1 bunch Kale, stem removed and cut into thin ribbons
1 medium head of Napa Cabbage, shredded
2 Carrots, shredded
3 Scallions, green and white part, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 TB Honey
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Step One:
Place kale in a large pan, coated with non-stick cooking spray, over medium high heat. Saute, stirring constantly, until kale is bright green in color, about 3-5 minutes. Remove kale from heat and allow to cool slightly. Once kale is cooled, place it in a large bowl with the Napa, carrots and scallions.

Step Two:
Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the canola oil, cider vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard.

Step Three:
Pour the vinaigrette over the veggies and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment