Market Finds

Market Finds
Farmer's Market Bounty

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Simple Sandwiches


As I sit down to write this blog entry, I am finding my mind to be uncharacteristically clear, and words slow to hit the page.  I suppose that I am actually relaxed and at peace. This is a combination of feelings that has eluded me for quite sometime, so I am going to embrace it.  It is this relaxed state of mind that has allowed me to more easily appreciate some of the less complicated pleasures of life.  One of those being, enjoying a simple sandwich, on the sand.

My kid and I never embark on a day at the beach with out a cooler full of cold drinks and carefully packed Ziploc bags of sandwiches for lunch.  We are not talking gourmet panini here.  We are talking white bread, yellow mustard, real mayonnaise and processed meat and cheese.  Basically, this is the lunch that goes against everything that I know and preach about about a nutritionally balanced meal. It is this healthy chef's dirty little secret.  My kids love this meal just as much as I do.  In fact, my teen aged daughter stated on multiple occasions, en route to the coast,   "I can't wait to eat sandwiches on the beach".  It is nice to know that even at her sometimes difficult age, she can conjure up a Proustian remembrance of a flavor that reminds her of something special.  

What's not to  love? Sun, surf and a once a year indulgence are the things that memories are made of.  Soon enough, we will be back to work, school and our whole foods lifestyle.  But for the rest of this week, my kids and I will continue to enjoy a week of our delightfully sinful indulgences.
A mustard smiley face is a must!

Sometimes, I get fancy and add some fresh cilantro.  If you have never tried fresh cilantro on a sandwich, you are missing one of life's great pleasures.

This is the life!
Zach skips the cilantro on his sandwich, but instead piles on a handful of potato chips between his slices of bread.



Let's face it, it is easy to be passionate about almost anything while a the beach!



No comments:

Post a Comment