Market Finds

Market Finds
Farmer's Market Bounty

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Taking the "Sweet" Out of the Sweet Potato



Over a long lunch with a good friend recently, I found myself up on my soap box, extolling the virtues of the sweet potato. My friend, who was less than enthusiastic about the tuber's place on her dinner table, did her best to make me acknowledge how hard they were to peel, that they are boring,  and pretty much an all-around annoyance to her.  This annoyance, was rooted in her husband's new found love of sweet potatoes, as he makes efforts to improve his diet.  I asked her if she ever ate sweet potatoes with her husband.  She admitted she did not, and that when she baked a sweet potato for him, she made a white potato for herself.  With this declaration, I was determined to change her opinion of this nutritional powerhouse.

I was not going to win her over with a cinnamon-spiced, marshmallow-topped casserole.  I needed to hit her in her wheel house with a familiar flavor profile.  As we commonly meet for Mexican food, I knew that this was the angle I should take.  I can typically get my children to eat just about anything that is stuffed inside of a tortilla, and figured this tactic would work just as well on a sweet potato loathing adult.

With that, I give you my simple and delicious roasted sweet potato and black bean taco recipe.


Kipley's Tacos:
1 large sweet potato, cubed
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground corriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
8 taco size whole wheat tortillas

Optional Garnishes:
Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
Jalapeños 
Fresh Cilantro
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Chopped Scallions
Beautiful fresh ingredients





Step One:
Place chopped onions and sweet potatoes on a foil-lined sheet pan.  Drizzle with olive oil, spices and salt and pepper. Toss to evenly distribute oil and spices over the vegetables.  Place in a 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until veggies are cooked through and starting to caramelize.

Onion and sweet potato, seasoned and ready for the 425 degree oven
Step Two:
Combine the black beans, onions and sweet potatoes on one sheet pan and place back in to oven for five minutes to warm up the beans.

Roasted veggies tossed with the black beans
Step Three:
Place bean an vegetable mixture into a warm tortilla and garnish as desired.
Tuck the veggies and beans into the warm tortilla and garnish as desired

This is one plate that even a sweet potato hater could be passionate about!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment